The best Sloppy Joe Recipe that I’ve ever had the pleasure of eating. Sloppy Joes that are just the right balance of tangy and sweet with tender sweet peppers and onions cooked in a slow cooker for an easy-to-make meal the whole family will enjoy.
Sloppy Joe Recipe
Filled with tender vegetables and beef that is full of flavor, these Sloppy Joes are sure to be a hit. Perfect for potlucks, holidays, or family dinners.
What I love about this Recipe
- easy to make
- very few ingredients that are simple and easy to find
- homemade, full of flavor, and tastes nothing like the stuff out of a can
- enough to feed a good amount of people
- freezes well
Make Ahead and Storage:
Can I make this recipe in advance?
Yes! Make them in the Slow Cooker earlier in the day or make them a day or two in advance.
Reheating: Place back in the slow cooker and set it to warm, cook on the stovetop (with the lid on) or microwave
Can I Freeze Sloppy Joes?
Yes! Sloppy Joes are a great candidate for a freezer meal. Simply let the meat cool and place it in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Thawing: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave
Do you have to make this Sloppy Joe Recipe in a Slow Cooker?
No. This recipe is easily adapted to cook on the stovetop and is done in less than 30 minutes.
To cook on the stovetop – While following the recipe…Drain the meat and onion mixture. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the peppers are tender. Serve over hamburger or brioche buns
Are sloppy joes good for you?
- The ground beef and vegetables in sloppy Joe are a great source of protein and vitamins, however, beef does have quite a bit of saturated fat. You could substitute ground turkey or ground chicken for a healthier version
What are some good side dishes that go with Sloppy Joes?
Tips and Tricks
- If you are short on time, just cook this all on the stovetop for an under 30-minute meal
- don’t skip the important step of cooking the onion with the ground beef for added flavor
Are you ready to make this recipe? Let’s make sure you have everything you’ll need:
- sirloin ground beef – I use sirloin because it has little fat and is so flavorful
- sweet onion – like Vidalia – even though this is a sweet onion, you’ll still want to sautee it with the ground beef to get rid of any bitterness
- minced garlic – if you don’t have minced garlic, you can substitute garlic powder
- ketchup – any brand will do for this recipe
- red, and yellow bell peppers – orange works too. I just used red and yellow. The mini sweet peppers are also a great substitute
- Worcestershire sauce
- light brown sugar – if you don’t have light brown you can use dark brown
- yellow mustard
- apple cider vinegar
- chili powder
- Hamburger buns or brioche buns
Here are my top Amazon Picks for The Best Sloppy Joe Recipe…
So, How Do You Make Sloppy Joes?
- Cook ground beef, onions, and garlic until tender
- Drain the meat
- In the slow cooker, combine, ketchup, peppers, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, and chili powder
- Add the cooked meat
- Place lid on a slow cooker
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours