This recipe for Salisbury Steak Recipe is one that I think you’ll love. It’s a recipe that was passed down, tried and true. Smothered in gravy complete with onions and mushrooms. Perfect for family dinner and sure to be a big hit with everyone.
Salisbury Steak Recipe
With thick mushroom and onion gravy topped over beef patties, this Salisbury steak makes a hearty meal that any meat-eater will love.
It’s passed down, tried, and true, plus so incredibly easy to make.
Not to mention, this recipe is all made in the same skillet – so the bonus there are fewer dishes to clean. You’ve gotta love that.
This recipe is always a hit and I can’t wait for you to try it.
Things I love about this recipe:
- It’s easy to make – similar to meatloaf, you mix all of the spices and other ingredients into a large bowl, shape the meat, and cook
- Ingredients that are readily available – these ingredients are all easily found at your local grocery store
- The tasty gravy smothering beef patties makes this the perfect comfort food
Make-Ahead and Storage:
This recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. Cooked beef can be kept in the fridge, covered for 3-4 days
Salisbury steak can be easily stored and covered in a baking dish in the refrigerator. Cover it with aluminum foil for a quick transfer to the oven
How Do I Reheat Salisbury Steak?
Reheating: When you are ready to serve this dish, bake in a baking dish covered with aluminum foil in the oven set to 325 degrees for about 30- 40 minutes. Check to see everything is heated through before serving
Can I Freeze Salisbury Steak?
Yes! Salisbury steak is a great dish for freezing. It can be frozen with gravy and all for up to 3 months.
For Freezing: When you are done cooking your steak, let it cool completely and transfer it to an aluminum baking pan double wrapped with foil over the top.
Cooking from frozen beef patties: You’ll want to increase your cooking time to about 60 minutes and set the temperature of the oven to 325
What is the Difference Between Salisbury Steak and Hamburger Steak?
- Hamburger steak is usually lightly seasoned and served over bread
- Salisbury steak is usually seasoned more like a meatloaf, smothered in gravy, and served with pasta, rice, or potatoes
What is the Difference Between Salisbury Steak and Meatloaf?
Salisbury steak is usually smothered in gravy and served over potatoes, pasta, or rice
While a Meatloaf is usually baked with ketchup or tomato-type mixture spread over the top
Why is it Named Salisbury Steak?
James Salisbury was a well-known doctor that was educated in diet and nutrition
Is Salisbury Steak Healthy?
Salisbury steak is packed with protein from the ground beef. It is usually served with vegetable-smothered gravy. However, the breadcrumbs and gravy usually subtract from the health factor in Salisbury Steak Recipes. Actually, this particular recipe does not use butter in the gravy, so it is quite healthy compared to other versions.
Tips and Tricks:
- Try to avoid the urge to flip the hamburger patties too early. Doing this might cause them to crumble apart
- If you want to cut down on calories, try using ground turkey meat in place of hamburger meat
- Ground sirloin is always the best option for any type of burger dish. There is very little grease. You probably won’t even need to drain the pan, and the flavor is very good.
- this recipe makes great meatballs. Shape the patties into meatballs the next time you’re hungry for spaghetti
What is in Salisbury Steak?
- ground beef – try finding beef with very little fat for this recipe. Ground sirloin is always the best choice
- bread crumbs – plain bread crumbs are perfect for this recipe
- salt – table salt will do perfectly
- ground black pepper
- large egg
- Worcestershire sauce – hard to pronounce, but tastes great in this recipe
- onions – I like to use a sweet onion like Vidalia
- Fresh mushrooms – typical button mushrooms are just fine, but you can substitute any type of mushroom
- beef broth – if you can’t find beef broth, use beef bullion mixed with 1 cup of water, chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- cornstarch mixed with water – this is to thicken the gravy
How do you Make Homemade Salisbury Steak?
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, egg, and Worcestershire sauce
- Shape the beef mixture into 4 beef patties
- Cook in a large skillet over medium heat to medium-high heat for 5 minutes on each side
- If necessary, drain grease
- Add the broth and vegetables
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer for about 10 minutes
- Then, add the cornstarch and water mixture to the juices, and continue to cook until the sauce has thickened
More Main Dishes made with Beef
I’d love it if you’d come and hang out with me on Social Media –
My Facebook Page for Recipes Passed Down Facebook Page
Facebook Group where we share recipes – Our Best Recipes and Holiday Treats Facebook Group
I can’t wait to see you there!
Here’s the printable recipe for you:Print