Tater Tot Casseroles are the perfect example of a nostalgic family dinner casserole. With layers of beef, cheese, fried onions, vegetables, and cream soup, This ground beef and cheese Tater Tot Casserole is classic comfort food at its’ best!
Tater Tot Casserole…
This casserole is bursting with the flavors of french fried onions mixed with potatoes, beef, cheese, and of course cream of something soup. That, my friend, is a winning combination.
What I love about this Easy Make Tater Tot and Beef Casserole
- Easy to make
- Simple ingredients
- Brings back memories of casseroles, and family dinners around the table
- Leftovers are delicious when reheated
- You can freeze this casserole
Can I Substitute the Broccoli for Another Vegetable?
Yes! Some vegetables that would be great in this tater tot casserole would be green beans, corn, zucchini, bell pepper, or asparagus
How long will Tater Tot and Beef Casserole leftovers last in the fridge?
- leftovers covered and stored in the refrigerator should last 3-4 days
Can you freeze this Casserole?
- Yes. Do not bake the casserole. Follow the recipe, but avoid baking it. Wrap with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for up to a month. You could also prepare this in an aluminum baking dish for freezing. For reheating, either thaw overnight in the refrigerator or allow the dish to thaw in the oven as the oven preheats.
How do you Reheat Leftovers?
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Microwave on individual plates for 1-2 minutes
Here are my top Amazon Picks for this delicious Old Fashioned Casserole Recipe…
Tips and Tricks:
- if you can’t find the cream of celery, then you can substitute it with another cream of something soup – like cream of mushroom or cream of chicken
- you can use fresh broccoli but you might want to precook it for a little bit in a skillet otherwise, allow a bit longer to cook it
- other vegetables that would work in this casserole are green beans from a can (drained), sweet corn from a can (drained)
- milk – use 2% or whole milk. Skim milk is too watered down for this recipe
- cheddar cheese can be substituted with Monterey jack cheese or a blended yellow cheese
Are you ready to make this delicious tater tot and beef casserole? Let’s make sure you have everything you’ll need:
- tater tots
- ground beef – I like to get sirloin ground beef. I know it’s more expensive but you can really notice a difference in the quality of the meat and it isn’t as greasy
- cream of celery soup – you could probably get away with substituting with cream of chicken soup, or cream of mushroom soup
- milk – 2% or whole milk work best in this recipe
- frozen broccoli pieces
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Fried Onions
How do you make Tater Tot Casserole?
- Brown the ground beef and drain
- Add cream of celery, milk, broccoli, 1/2 of the cheese, and fried onions
- Spoon mixture into greased baking dish
- Top with the rest of the fried onions and cheese
- Place Tater Tots on top
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes
More Main Dish Recipes with Beef
I’d love it if you’d come and hang out with me on Social Media –
Facebook Page for Recipes Passed Down Facebook Page
Facebook Group where we share recipes – Our Best Recipes and Holiday Treats Facebook Groups
I can’t wait to see you there!
Here’s the recipe…Print