This Slow Cooker Barbecue Ham recipe, much like Pittsburgh’s famous chipped ham BBQ sandwiches, is great for a large gathering of friends and family. Perfect for the holidays.
Slow Cooker Barbeque Ham Sandwiches (Chipped Ham Sandwiches)
I love walking into the kitchen, smelling the aroma from the crockpot, and knowing that dinner is one step closer to being done.
Pair this delicious sandwich with coleslaw for an amazing meal.
Why I Love This Recipe:
- Easy to make – There are just a couple of steps in this recipe. Cooking the sauce in a saucepan on the stovetop, and placing it with the ham in the slow cooker to finish
- Because it is only made in a saucepan and the slow cooker, there is less mess and fewer dishes to clean up
- It’s perfect for taking to potlucks
- It serves 12-15 people which makes it a great option for the holidays
- Delicious and always a big hit with everyone
What is a Pittsburgh Chipped BBQ Ham Sandwich?
It’s a sweet and tangy, thinly “chipped” ham sandwich native to Pittsburgh that used to be sold in Isaly’s stores. It is a staple among Pittsburgh locals.
Make-Ahead and Storage:
How long will Chipped Ham and Sauce last in the Fridge?
These BBQ ham sandwiches when covered and refrigerated should last 3-4 days
Can I Freeze Chipped Ham Sandwiches?
I wouldn’t freeze these sandwiches. Enjoy them within 3-4 days of making them
Can I Make these BBQ Ham Sandwiches on the Stovetop?
Yes! You can make this entirely on the stovetop. Just cook in a large saucepan on low heat with the lid on for about 20 minutes
What Sides Go with Barbecue Ham Sandwiches?
- fruit salad
- macaroni and cheese
- roasted potatoes
- baked beans
- cole slaw
Are you ready to make these BBQ Ham Sandwiches? Let’s make sure you have everything you’ll need:
- sweet onion – I like to use Vidalia onions in a recipe
- green bell pepper
- packed brown sugar – both light brown sugar and dark brown sugar will work in this recipe
- lemon juice – no need for fresh lemon. The bottled lemon juice works perfectly
- Worcestershire sauce – hard to pronounce but necessary in this recipe
- yellow mustard
- ground cinnamon
- ground cloves
- paprika (smoked is optional)
- sliced deli ham – sliced extremely thin – preferred method is “chipped”
Here are my Top Amazon Picks for this Slow Cooker Ham Recipe…
How do you make Chipped Ham Sandwiches in the Slow Cooker?
- Combine everything but the ham in a medium-sized saucepan, over medium heat on the stovetop
- Bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce the temperature to a simmer and place the lid on. Cook for about 5 minutes
- Put the sauce and ham slices into a slow cooker
- Cook on high for about 3 hours
- Serve on buns or ciabatta rolls
More Slow Cooker Recipes
I’d love it if you’d come and hang out with me on Social Media –
Facebook Page for Recipes Passed Down
Facebook Group where we share recipes – Our Best Recipes and Holiday Treats
I can’t wait to see you there!Print