The most delicious and Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta. It is bursting with flavors from sausage, chicken broth, heavy cream, spinach, and sun-dried tomatoes. It’s easy to make and the perfect comfort food for dinner tonight.
Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta
This creamy pasta is mainly made in one large skillet so there’s a lot less mess to clean up after. I love that about it. It’s also very tasty. The blend of flavors is simply delicious. It was a big hit with my family. I hope you’ll like it as much as we did.
Things I love about this recipe:
- There are very few pots or pans needed for this recipe, so cleaning up is a snap!
- It has a blend of savory and creamy that is just amazing
- This dinner is a quick and simple one to make – perfect for busy nights
- Leftovers – if you have any – are still delicious warmed up the next day
- add some crushed red pepper for a more spicy pasta
Make Ahead and Storage
Can I make this sausage pasta ahead of time?
Yes. Although this recipe is best served immediately, this pasta can be made in advance and reheated.
Reheating: Reheat in a skillet or saucepan on a stovetop adding equal amounts of cream and broth as needed.
Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container and in the refrigerator
Freezing: I do not recommend freezing this pasta dish
What Do I Serve with Italian Sausage Pasta?
- warm bread
- garlic bread
- grilled vegetables like these Grilled Tomatoes with Zesty Italian Dressing
- sauteed vegetables like Corn and Bell Peppers Sauteed in Butter
Tips and Tricks for making this pasta dinner:
- if you are not a fan of basil, feel free to substitute it with your favorite Italian seasonings like oregano, or rosemary – or – leave it out and don’t substitute it. There are plenty of flavors coming from the chicken broth, tomatoes, and sausage to make up for it
- if you can’t find rigatoni then you can use other tube pasta like penne
Are you ready to make this delicious and quick meal? Let’s make sure you have everything you’ll need:
- Italian Sausage: I used ground mild Italian Sausage. If you can only find sausage links which are more common, then that is perfectly fine
- onion – I like to use sweet Vidalia onions. I also like to make sure they are sauteed before adding them to any dish. This takes out any bitterness you might taste when biting into an onion
- rigatoni pasta – Rigatoni pasta is easily found at your local grocery store in the pasta section, but if you don’t have it at your store, try using penne or another tube of pasta
- chicken broth – this adds a lot of flavors and I would not suggest leaving it out of the recipe
- heavy cream – is important for the cream sauce. It adds cream and flavor to this dish. You could use half and half but it might not thicken up as much
- spinach – I used fresh spinach. If you only have frozen then make sure it is thawed and any excess water is squeezed out
- parmesan cheese – this specific cheese adds flavor and helps thicken up the cream sauce. Use freshly grated
- pepper jack cheese – shredded pepper jack cheese adds a little spice to this dish which I love, but if you don’t have it that’s fine. You won’t miss the flavor
- sundried tomatoes – without their juices. Cut them up so everyone has bite-sized pieces
- dried basil – this adds a sweet and mild Italian flavor
- garlic powder – which is an important spice in this dish. You can substitute minced garlic instead
- mustard powder – this spice always adds depth and a little kick. It blends well with garlic powder and salt
- salt – just plain table salt will do
- ground black pepper
How do you make Sausage Pasta?
- in a very large skillet, cook the sausage and onion together until the sausage is fully cooked and most of the oil has evaporated
- remove the sausage and onion – place them in a bowl nearby
- to the warm skillet, add broth, cream, cheese, and spices
- mix well with the bits at the bottom of the skillet and cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes or until it thickens up a bit
- Add the drained sun-dried tomatoes, sausage, and onion – stir in
- fold in the spinach and finally the pasta
- serving suggestion: serve with garlic bread and salad
Other Pasta Recipes