Three Bean Salad is a classic side dish for any summer potluck, picnic, or barbecue. This easy-to-make and tasty side is always easy to make and is even better when made ahead.
Three Bean Salad
Simple flavors with a tangy dressing make this recipe for Three Bean Salad a favorite at any get-together. I love potluck recipes that bring back happy memories and nostalgia. This side dish is one of those classic comfort food recipes that I love to serve to my family and friends.
What I Love about this Recipe for Three Bean Salad
- It’s even better the next day, so making ahead to save time is a great idea
- This recipe is a classic side
- Easy to make
- Made all in one bowl – so fewer dishes to clean up
Make-Ahead and Storage:
Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to three days in advance. The vinegar helps preserve the vegetables in this recipe, making it a great side dish to make ahead for your party or the holidays.
Storing: Store this recipe for bean salad covered in the refrigerator for 3-5 days
Serving: Serve cold
Can you Freeze Three Bean salads?
Yes, you can freeze bean salad for up to 3 months.
Defrosting three bean salad: thaw this salad overnight in the refrigerator. Do not heat up
What is a Classic Three Bean Salad?
Three bean salads, even the classic old-fashioned recipes have different variations, but most of them have 3 different types of beans and a sweet vinegar dressing
The most common and classic three-bean salad is made from kidney beans, yellow wax beans, and green beans
What Goes well with Three Bean Salad?
- pasta salad
- potato salad
- corn on the cob
- hot dogs
- grilled steak
- cold shrimp salad
What are Add-Ins and Variations for Three Bean Salad?
- beans that go well with this salad are garbanzo beans and pinto beans
- black-eyed peas are similar to a bean and would go well in this salad
- Vidalia onions, red onions, or green onions are all great choices for this recipe
- apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, or white vinegar are all great ideas for vinegar
- add other vegetables like fresh tomatoes, and red bell pepper
- garnish with herbs like cilantro or parsley
Tips and Tricks:
- make this salad at least a day ahead of time and store covered in the refrigerator
- this salad tastes better the next day as the flavor of the dressing has time to really marinate the vegetables
- serve this salad cold
- use a slotted spoon for serving as there will be a lot of dressing
What goes into a Three Bean Salad?
- canned green beans – drained
- yellow wax beans in a can – drained
- canned kidney beans – drained
- green bell pepper
- onion – I like the sweetness of a Vidalia onion
- granulated sugar
- oil – oil of any kind like corn oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, grapeseed oil, and more
- ground black pepper
- vinegar – I used white vinegar but apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar would also be delicious
- salt – regular old table salt
How do you make Classic Three Bean Salad?
- In a large bowl make the salad dressing from the sugar, oil, salt, pepper, and vinegar
- whisk well
- fold in beans and vegetables
- cover and let refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight
- serve with a slotted spoon
More Side Salads to MakePrint