Smooth and creamy rice pudding just like grandma used to make. This Old Fashioned Rice Pudding Recipe is timeless classic comfort food and is always a big hit.
Creamy Rice Pudding Recipe
There is something nostalgic about curling up with a warm bowl of creamy rice pudding. It brings me back to the good ole’ days of watching television with the family after a filling meal.
Rice pudding doesn’t really have a season that it is best in. I think it’s great all year round. If I had to pick a season, fall or winter would be the ultimate comfort food time for this sweet custard-type dish.
What is in a Classic Rice Pudding?
- cooked rice, sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla, and cornstarch are typically the main ingredients in any rice pudding?
Make-Ahead and Storage:
Rice pudding can easily be made a few days in advance.
Store rice pudding covered in the refrigerator.
Reheating Rice Pudding:
You can reheat rice pudding on the stovetop over medium heat. To thin overly thickened rice pudding, place it in a pot (saucepan) and add 1 Tablespoon of milk at a time and stir over medium to medium-high heat.
Another method of reheating rice pudding would be to heat it in the microwave until heated through
My Rice Pudding is Runny – What Can I do?
Even though your rice pudding might be runny immediately after removing it from the heat, the cornstarch or other thickening agent will most likely continue to work even after you are done cooking it. As the pudding cools off, it will continue to thicken and become a thicker texture
Is Classic Rice Pudding Healthy?
- With sugar and whole milk, you can see how this recipe might not be the healthiest choice when you are watching your calories. A great way to lessen the calories in rice pudding is to substitute it with lower fat milk. However, the milk, eggs, and rice will give you a healthy dose of protein and calcium. Folding in fruit will boost the vitamins in rice pudding.
What Can I Serve with my Rice Pudding for Added Flavor?
- fruit folded into your serving of rice pudding – sliced peaches, apricots, apples, or oranges would all be delicious
- whipped topping
- pecans pieces
- heavy cream
Are you ready to make this creamy rice pudding recipe? Let’s make sure you have everything you’ll need…
- short-grain rice or long-grain rice
- unsalted butter
- whole milk or 2% milk – Divided
- egg yolks- beaten
- granulated sugar
- pure Vanilla extract – you can substitute artificial extract
- optional – cinnamon for added topping
How do you make Old Fashioned Rice Pudding?
- cook rice until water is cooked out and rice has absorbed all of the moisture and is fluffed up
- add the unsalted butter and mix in until the butter is dissolved
- you’ll add a large portion of the milk to cool the recipe down
- in a small bowl, you’ll mix the egg yolks with some more of the milk and then add that to the milk and rice
- bring the rice to a boil over medium-high heat and cook down for about 30 minutes – leave the lid off
- add cornstarch to the rest of the milk and mix
- stir the cornstarch mixture into the rice – cook for a few minutes to thicken the rice pudding
- add vanilla and stir in
- best served warm with cinnamon and whipped topping
More Desserts to Try
Here’s the recipe with full details…Print
~Melissa – RecipesPassedDown.com