This easy-to-make Apple Bread will fill your house with the most wonderful aromas. Topped with a cinnamon-sugar crunch topping and is full of flavor. A buttery slice of this moist cake-like bread is the perfect complement to a warm cup of coffee with friends and family.
Old Fashioned Apple Bread
A delicious mildly sweet bread that is the perfect complement to a hot cup of coffee on a crisp morning. It’s a great breakfast, dessert, or snack for any time of day, or a great way to end a crisp fall day. A great recipe for using up all of those apples you picked in the fall.
What I love about this Recipe
- it’s easy to make
- you can add all kinds of delicious add-ins to enhance the flavor
- a great way to use up apples after a fun day of apple picking
- it’s a nostalgiac, old-fashioned recipe
- make it into a dessert by adding some delicious caramel sauce, a sprinkle of walnuts, and some whipped cream
Make-Ahead and Storage:
How far in advance can I make apple bread?
You can make apple bread several days in advance. The apples, once cooked will stop their browning process. You can leave apple bread, covered at room temperature for 4-5 days
Can I Freeze Apple Bread?
Yes, you can! After the apple bread has cooled completely, wrap it in aluminum foil and place it in a freezer bag. Freeze whole for up to 2 months.
Thawing: You can thaw bread in the refrigerator or at room temperature
What are the Best Apples for Baking?
Tart apples with flesh that hold up well during the baking process are preferred for baking. Some good examples are, Jonagold, Honey Crisp, Granny Smith, Fuji or Pink Lady
Tips and Tricks:
- texture – this apple bread batter is a thick batter like a brownie batter
- if you really want to take advantage of the juice in the apple, then shred the apples. This will incorporate the apple into the batter more than simply adding chopped apples
- sweetening the bread: use half brown sugar and half granulated sugar in place of granulated sugar. Consider adding more ingredients like raisins, or dried cherries
Add-Ins for Apple Bread:
- orange zest
- brown sugar – this adds more sweetness to this mildly sweet bread
- dried cherries
Are you ready to make this apple bread recipe? Let’s make sure you have everything you’ll need.
Ingredients for Apple Bread:
- butter – softened unsalted butter
- sugar – granulated sugar although some people prefer to mike 1/2 brown sugar and 1/2 granulated sugar for a sweeter tasting bread
- eggs – large eggs at room temperature are best for this recipe
- buttermilk – if you don’t have any buttermilk, try mixing a bit of milk with sour cream
- all-purpose flour
- salt – just plain old iodized table salt is what you’ll need for this recipe
- vanilla extract – I like to use pure vanilla extract but you can use imitation if that is all you have on hand
- apples – the preferred apple for this recipe is Jonathon or Jonagold and they should be peeled
Ingredients for Apple Bread Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- melted butter – unsalted butter
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- ground cinnamon
How to Make Apple Bread
- preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- in a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until mixed well
- add the eggs to the cream mixture and mix well
- in a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and add to the cream mixture
- pour or scoop out the batter into 2 greased loaf pans
- in a small bowl, mix the topping ingredients and spread them over the batter
- bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour
More Bread Recipes to TryPrint