A no-roll pie crust that is perfect for busy days and the holidays
- 1&1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 2 tsp. of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of canola or vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. of 2% or whole milk
- Pour the flour, salt, and sugar, right into the middle of your pie pan
- Mix together with a fork – mix well
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture by pushing everything to the edges – leaving an empty circle right in the center of the flour
- Pour the oil, and milk right into the center of the well
- Using your fork, mix the liquid first, and then mix in the dry ingredients until it forms a dough
- Press the dough out to the edges of the pie pan
- Bake according to your pie recipe
Can I Make this Pie Crust Ahead of Time?
Yes. Ultimately, this pie crust would be made at the same time you are preparing your pie to bake, but you can make this ahead of time. If you do make the pie crust before you need it, simply cover it and refrigerate it.
Warming up: Make sure you pull the pie crust out and let it warm up to room temperature before adding your filling and baking your pie.
Can I Freeze this Pie Crust?
Yes. You can simply roll up a prebaked pie crust and wrap it in wax paper or parchment paper to prevent sticking, then cover it in freezer wrap. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Freezing: Roll the pie crust in a ball, cover it with wax paper or parchment paper, then in freezer paper, and finally plastic wrap. You can freeze pie crust for a few months.
Thawing: Set pie crust out at room temperature to thaw
Do I have to make this crust directly in the pie pan?
No. You can make this crust in a bowl and roll it out just like a classic pie crust
Tips and Tricks:
Tips for rolling out a classic pie crust:
Even though this recipe, does not need to be rolled out, you can use it to make a classic crust.
If you happen to need another crust for the top of your pie, then
- just mix this recipe in a bowl
- Transfer the pie crust between 2 pieces of wax paper to roll it out
- Lift off the top piece of paper, and then pick up the bottom piece with the pie crust to transfer onto your pie filling
- Flip it over and pull off the wax paper
- Prep Time: 5 minutes