Delicious oven-baked stew served over mashed potatoes
- 1 lb. of Stew Meat
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. of pepper
- 3 Tbsp. of virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. of sliced mushrooms
- 2 medium sweet onions – sliced
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 4 cups of water
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup of Red Cooking Wine
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp. of sage, and thyme
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tsp. water
- Hot mashed potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees
- Using an oven-proof pot that can also be used on the stove – heats the olive oil over medium heat.
- Season the stew meat with the salt and pepper
- Throw the stew meat into the pot, and let it brown for a few minutes
- Remove the meat, and set it aside
- Put your sliced mushrooms, and onions in the same pan, and cook on the stovetop until tender – about 5 minutes
- Add the garlic, and onion powder, water, bouillon cubes, wine, tomato paste, herbs, and the browned meat
- Bring everything to a boil, and stir to make sure the bouillon cubes have dissolved
- Put the lid on your dish
- Place in the oven and Bake for about an hour
- Make a paste out of the flour and water
- Add the paste to the stew, and stir in
- Continue to bake for another 30 minutes
- If the stew has not thickened up to your liking, you can boil it for a few minutes on the stovetop – adding more paste to make it thicken up
- Serve over hot mashed potatoes
Make-Ahead and Storage:
This stew can easily be made ahead of time and only gets better with time.
Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Stovetop – Reheat this braised beef stew on the stovetop with a lid on the pot and at medium/high heat. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
Baking to reheat – ovenproof pot baking it until heated through which will take about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Can I Substitute another Vegetable for the Mushrooms?
Yes. As a matter of fact, you can leave the mushrooms out entirely and just go with the onions. Other vegetables that you might consider would be beans, carrots, or peas
Do I have to Use Red Wine to Flavor the Beef Stew?
No. Although red wine is preferred to flavor this stew, you can use more beef broth, red wine vinegar, or apple cider to achieve a similar flavor
Can I add Potatoes to this Stew Recipe?
Yes, but I would not recommend it as the preferred way to serve it over mashed potatoes.
If you still want to add potatoes – you can add cubed potatoes (you don’t have to peel them, but you can), but you’ll probably want to eliminate serving the stew over mashed potatoes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Braising
- Cuisine: American