This delicious baked potato soup is loaded with delicious flavor. The ultimate comfort food for crisp fall nights and cold winter nights. A great family dinner that is easy to make and always a big hit.
Baked Potato Soup
This soup is loaded with comforting flavors that come together in less than 30 minutes.
What I love about this recipe:
- it’s an old-fashioned recipe from the good ‘ole days
- this soup is rich, creamy, and full of flavor
- it’s a simple soup with ingredients that are easily found at your local grocery store
- this soup makes a large amount already, but it can be doubled to feed more
Make Ahead and Storage:
Can I make this soup ahead of time?
Yes! This soup tastes great when warmed up the day after you make it
Can I Freeze Potato Soup?
Potato soup is a soup that I do not recommend freezing. The starch in the potatoes breaks down, and they do not hold their shape when reheating. The texture of the potatoes turns grainy
Storing: Store potato soup – covered – in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat soup over the stovetop until warmed through. Stir occasionally so the milk does not burn
You can also microwave the soup in individual bowls
Tips and Tricks:
- make sure the cream cheese is softened and at room temperature before mixing
- combine the sour cream and cream cheese before adding the liquids so you don’t get lumpy liquid as I did
- Double or halve the recipe to fit your needs
- For a really thick soup, add all of the cheese directly to the soup, or use it as a garnish in individual bowls
If you are ready, let’s make sure you have everything you’ll need to make this tasty potato soup:
- large baking potatoes – I used russet potatoes
- small sweet onion – I always buy Vidalia onions. I like their sweetness as opposed to a bitter yellow onion
- butter – unsalted
- chicken broth – if you don’t have chicken broth, you can make your own with bouillon cubes or bouillon powder and water
- ground black pepper
- sour cream – I used whole-fat sour cream, but you can use reduced fat
- cream cheese – either original or reduced fat is fine in this recipe
- milk – I would not use non-fat milk. You want the creaminess that comes from the fat in milk. Use 2% or whole milk
- shredded cheddar cheese – either mild cheddar cheese or sharp cheddar cheese
How do you make Baked Potato Soup?
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter
- Add chopped onion and saute them
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil
- Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until the potatoes have softened (about 15 minutes)
- Mash the potatoes slightly, just to release some starch into the liquid
- In a separate bowl or mixer, mix the sour cream and cream cheese until well blended and smooth
- Stir in milk, garlic powder, salt, and ground pepper
- To thicken the soup even more, add the cheddar cheese and stir in
- Serve with garnishes like crumbled bacon, cheese, and chives
- Double the recipe for more soup